Theme: Learn, Share and exchange knowledge
The Regional Library Forum meeting was held at Kwanokuthula library – 7 October 2015 and the representatives were library staff from Plettenberg Bay, Knysna and George libraries.
Matters for discussion and sharing were:
- Rabbit program – Library staff of Knysna and their local Rotary Club started with a children’s program in the library – story telling with incentives. This program was recommended to start with to all presented, especially those who do not have such program.
- The Education Department – presented a program of children’s reading and provided ideas for libraries with the target group on parents, toddlers, Gr R, Foundation Phase, IP (Intermediate Phase, Senior Phase and FET and young adults.
- IFLA – The Assistant Director at the Regional Library in George, Ms Ronel Mouton gave feedback on the recent IFLA conference. This is an annual conference where representatives around the world attend. Ms T Twani was fortunate to attend the 2015 conference in Cape Town. The expenses were paid by the Provincial library Services.
- Library Inspection Reports – Annual library inspection reports by the Regional librarian was requested to assist libraries with identifying problem areas and improve on service delivery.
- Youth development in libraries – The Manager Libraries, Ms M Johnston informed the meeting of the program targeting youth and focusing on different areas of youth development. This program includes the Bitou Youth Development Officer, Mr D Meyer, Cape Access, Bitou IT and Provincial ICT. Libraries were motivated to liaise with Youth Desks to assist them with youth development programs as there is funding available.
- Problems from Region – The Regional Librarian, Ms Marlene Swanepoel highlighted problems the region encounters regarding library operational functions.
The next forum will take place in George – 9 June 2016
The closing message for the day was:
“Have fun while you do something and you will do great”.
Last published 30 March 2016