NOTICE NUMBER: 341/2018
Date: 05 December 2018
Venue: Ski Boat Club
You are cordially invited to participate in an open meeting to discuss:
The research activities below described run by Oceans Research (Dr Enrico Gennari) in collaboration with Bruce Noble and other local stakeholders, part of the research permit applications RES2018-24 and RES2018-42.
- Observational land-based research
- The use of drone to study the predator-prey relationships between white sharks and Cape fur seals
- The use of underwater cameras (baited and non)
- Internal and external tagging of white sharks to monitor the horizontal movement patterns of white sharks within the Plettenberg Bay area, to mitigate the potential shark-human conflict
- The use of daily diaries (accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer and camera packages) on white sharks to study their habitat use and hunting patterns.
- The use of decoys and bait, only nearby the seal colony, and only with the purpose of tagging white sharks and deploy daily diaries on white sharks
We believe all this research will be enormously beneficial to the municipality, the local people and will allow to monitor and mitigate the shark-human conflict in the Plettenberg Bay area.
Mr TM Sompani
ACTING MUNICIPAL MANAGER
Bitou Local Municipality
Last published 04 February 2019