Skip to main content
Tariffs and Charges

Please consult the 2014-2015 Tariffs and Charges sheet [PDF: 2.4MB].

This document contains the latest information on:

  • Property rates
  • Electricity
  • Refuse removal
  • Sewerage
  • Sanitation
  • Water
  • Beaches
  • Building control
  • Cemetery fees
  • Dog licences
  • Fire fighting
  • Sundry tariffs
  • Aerodrome fees

Please note: all tariffs and charges exclude VAT

Rates for community halls

Please consult the rate sheet for information on hiring the following community halls:

Note: A rebate of 40% on the tariffs of the community halls is applicable to cultural, educational, welfare, service and non-profit organisations, churches, Voortrekkers, Scouts, Girl Guides, widows and orphans funds, sports clubs and municipal, provincial and state institutions. Written applications for a further rebate from these organisations will be considered on merit


I own my property, why should I pay rates on it?

It is important to remember that the municipality has to fund most projects and maintenance in its area itself. Road maintenance, storm water drainage systems, electricity consumed by street lighting and many other services which directly or indirectly benefit the city’s residents have to be financed. The income from rates charges finances these and other community services.

How does the value of my property affect my rates bill?

Rates are calculated by charging a percentage of the valuation of your property as an annual fee. The higher the value of your property, the higher your rates will be. The value of the property is determined by valuers (contracted) and the resulting value is multiplied by a factor (eg 2.4%) which in turn results in the amount of rates charged. These funds are then used by the municipality to maintain the city infrastructure (eg roads and streetlights.)

What do I do if my service has been cut off because my account is overdue?

Contact the Enquiry Office on 044 501 3035 and establish the full balance owing as well as the reconnection fee. Make these payments and take the receipts to the credit control section where a staff member will arrange for the reconnection of your services.



How do I determine if there is a water leak on my property?

Try to establish whether there are any damp areas on the ground or on the walls where your pipes run. Make sure that the geyser is not overflowing by checking the overflow pipe on the roof. Check the cisterns of each toilet on the property to ensure that the rubber seal is effective and water is not continually running into the bowl. If a hissing sound can be heard from the water pipes when no taps are running, there is probably a leak.
Make sure that no taps are dripping – a dripping tap can waste more than 200 litres of water a day or about 6.5 Kilolitres a month.

Who is responsible for fixing water leaks?

The municipality maintains and repairs the water mains up to the water meter. The area from the meter to the taps is the responsibility of the owner or tenant, depending on the lease agreement. If you have a leak on the property, contact a private plumbing contractor to make the necessary repairs. It is in your own interest to have a leak repaired immediately as you will be charged at a higher rate as your consumption increases.
If there is a burst pipe or leak on a roadway or pavement report it to Water Services. It is illegal for a consumer or private contractor to tamper with a water meter.

How do I contact Water Services?

You can contact Water Services by telephoning 044 501 3122 or the Water Manager at 044 501 3121

Where can I find details on water quality?

You can download the latest Water Analysis Report dated 31 Oct 2013

Free Services and Subsidies

What are the free basic services?

Registered indigent consumers will receive 6Kl of water and 50kwh of electricity free each month. The free water you receive is worth R23.12 and the electricity is worth about R27.59 during the current financial year. This will vary according to council policy changes.

Will I still receive my free electricity if my free prepayment meter is blocked?

Yes, the computer is programmed to allow you to receive your free token 50 kwh

How do I get free electricity and water?

Only registered indigent customers are entitled to free 6Kl of water and 50kwh units of electricity monthly. If you use more than 6Kl of water, you will be charged with a basic charge, but still get 6Kl free. When you buy electricity, it will only charge units purchased in excess of 50kwh.

Who qualifies for an indigent subsidy?

You will qualify if you are the legal owner or tenant of the property; and the household earns a total gross income less than R1 800 per month.

What benefits will I receive if I qualify for an indigent subsidy?

Bitou Municipality will pay R105.55 towards your municipal account each month, which can be reviewed by Council from year to year.

How do I apply for an indigent subsidy?

Collect and complete an “Indigent Grant Application” form from your nearest municipal enquiry office.
If you are employed you will need certified proof of your income. You will need a certified copy of your identity document. If you are unemployed or a pensioner, you will need to make an affidavit to that effect at a police station or commissioner of oaths.
Submit all the relevant documentation to your nearest municipal office. You will be notified by post if your application is successful.

NOTE: You must reapply for your subsidy before the anniversary date of your first application or your subsidy will fall away.




City Services


What do I pay the municipality for?

Services supplied by the municipality include: water, electricity, refuse removal, sewerage and assessment rates.

How am I billed for municipal services?

You will be sent a monthly statement that details charges. The due date for payment is clearly indicated. Water and electricity charges are based on actual consumption. In the case of debit meters, consumption is determined by readings taken from the meters. In the case of pre-payment meters, the meter will be “charged” with units.
Charges for refuse removal depend on the usage of a property. Businesses, such as restaurants and supermarkets, are charged at a higher fee than domestic consumers because of the nature and volume of the refuse to be collected.
Sewerage charges and refuse charges are levied on an annual basis with the assessment rates account, but can be paid in 12 instalments on receipt of a once-off written application to pay monthly.

How do I make an enquiry?

Contact your nearest municipal office in person, by telephone or by fax. If you speak to someone in person or over the telephone, make sure that you record that person’s name if they are unable to resolve your enquiry immediately. This will be of assistance should you need to follow up your enquiry.

What happens when I make an enquiry?

If the enquiry staff member is unable to solve your query immediately, it will be forwarded to the relevant section or department that will be able to assist. You will be contacted through the means of your choice (telephone, fax, mail or email) and informed of the result.

What can I do if I am dissatisfied with the service I have received?

Make sure you have noted the person’s name who helped you. Ask to speak to that person’s supervisor.